Our little family-2011

Our little family-2011
We aren't so little anymore

One crazy group

One crazy group
A stroll on the water

Blog Archive

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stairway to Heaven

it is somewhat difficult to put into words all that happened and how I felt and still feel. I can only say this: this experience has been life affirming and life changing. More of a spiritual journey than I knew. How does one understand the hand of God in an earthly and seemingly plain experience? While in the mountains and on the course I thought I would have lots of thoughts and great insights. This is what I read about and heard people talk about. The thing was, that didn't happen for me! The run was hard and it hurt and was totally uncomfortable. Not only physically but emotionally also. It is hard to watch people who are running further pass you going to the finish while you are still headed to the half way mark. So all the Spiritual stuff was just not there at that time. I have since spent time wondering why! Then I realized that for me the spiritual stuff has taken place over many months. I have learned a sense of value, at any weight! People continuously commented today at church at how good I look. I did look good, but it had more to do with inner than outer. I am not that much smaller than I was a few months ago, but I feel like a much bigger person inside. For me taking this journey gave me something back I lost after my illnesses. I was actually given back in triple quantities my status as a daughter of a Heavenly Father. I know it sounds Corny but I know who I am and I can see Gods plan for me in this journey. I am going to start working out again this week. Tomorrow will be my first hard workout since the run. It will be different for me now. I am not sure exactly how, but it is! My goals are still undetermined but I am more aware of His hand in this and will now look to Him for the path to take. In the mean time I will be working my heart out to take some weight off the muscles and bones that worked so hard for me last week. More for my health now than my looks. I will never be a size 2 or 4 or even 6, it's not about that. I am going to be the Princess I see in the mirror! So as weird as this blog might be, I am going to keep blogging my progress. I am going to keep weight training with intensity now, so I am sure I will have some choice thoughts to share. Please continue reading and supporting me. It is through another that we sometimes see ourselves!
To the run....It was cold! Did I mention that before I wonder? It was 46 degrees with an average 20 mile an hour wind in our face. Most of the marathoners had the wind at their backs when they hit the 1/2 way mark. It took us longer than most so by the time we hit the 1/2 the day was changed and it was hitting us directly at the side. While I was glad not to have the wind in our faces it was so not helpful to have it hitting us sideways. The run was put together well and there were lots of volunteers and helpers. Every 1 1/2 miles there was water available and an odd drink called heet or heat. I never tried it but I did think about it a couple times. Apparently it is an energy drink. I am just not sure how these things will effect me and so I avoided it. Sometimes for me energy things mean a drop in blood sugar and not good things. We were soo tired that trying anything new that might not work was a risk we were unwilling to make. We ate these jelly belly beans that are like GU only in a bean form and much tastier. I owe my sister big for bringing those. I was just going to eat the GU that they provided. Afterwards I tried a little of the GU and it is nasty tasting but more than that the texture is one I DO NOT enjoy. SO big hallelujahs to Robin or that.
I plan to run 2 more 1/2 marathons this year. SO if anyone is interested in running with me I would love it. I think that while this sport is an individual sport it is so much better with friends.
Well, my girls just came up stairs saying that our roof is leaking so I gotta go.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

What a fun read! Thanks for all the gory details, great! If the second race you do this year is late enough, I'd love to join you. I've been intimidated by the distance, but you make it look easy and so empowering, I'd really like to try sooner rather than later.

Four sisters join forces for good

Four sisters join forces for good
Robin, Renea, and myself at the half way turn around. What a beautiful moment